Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Labeling Genetically Modified Organisms



Labeling Genetically Modified Organisms
In a previous microbiology class I briefly learned about what exactly GMO’s (genetically modified organisms) are. I learned what the intention was for creating them and the long-term concerns. After this class I started noticing NON GMO PROJECT labels on foods and decided to do a little research of my own. It turns out through my analysis that there is no credible data stating that GMO’s are currently unsafe for consumption but is still the subject of great controversy.

GMO’s are made in labs by combining DNA from other plants or bacteria/viruses.  Genetically modified plants were created to increase per-acre production, thereby requiring less land to cultivate the same amount of crops, provide greater resistance against crop viruses and disease, and increase the nutritional value. With the potential to end world hunger and no foreseeable harm, the US allows use of GM foods without being labeled. The question arises then, why would so many countries have strict guidelines or an all out ban of genetically modified organisms?

The NONGMO Project is a nonprofit organization which sets standards to verify foods with little to no GMO contamination, because there are no set laws or guidelines from the government on this matter. Being in the food supply for about 20 years without labeling has allowed the public to fear its presence. There has not been enough time for lifetime studies, but there has definitely been enough time to inform the public that most foods contain genetically modified organisms.  The law should require the labeling of genetically modified organisms so that the public has the right to decide to include GMO’s in their diet.
Here is a link to the NONGMO Project’s website for further information. http://www.nongmoproject.org/

1 comment:

  1. This is certainly a hot topic issue. I have not done extensive research personally, but I have heard varying accounts. I understand the positive ideals behind GMO's I also understand that the limited studies have presented a lot of concern. Some of the most pressing issues resulting from GMO's are the decline in the honey bee population. Another concern I have, not directly related to GMO's, is that I have recently read several accounts of the FDA ignoring negative studies in favor of funding from outside sources. Rather than having public safety as the top priority (the entire purpose of the FDA) money has become a greater motivator for keeping harmful products on our shelves. This makes me even more skeptical of products that contain GMO's among other chemicals and preservatives.

    ReplyDelete